Monday, January 4, 2010

money, money, money

I know it's not really the classiest of subjects to talk about...especially so early in the year, but yesterday's extreme cold really made me realize the comfort of money. When it comes to the question "How much money is enough?" you get a myriad of different answers ranging from...."I just don't want to worry about paying my bills"...to "You can never have enough."

It was a bitterly cold day to be out and about in New York City yesterday. Temperature hovering around 20, but feeling like 0 degrees because of the consistent wind that was gusting up to 40mph. It's the kind of cold that cuts through all the layers of clothing and literally chills you to the bone in a matter of seconds. On this glorious Sunday, I had multiple "appointments" for brunch, dinner, etc. scattered around Manhattan, but all of them easily within a leisurely walk.

I am kind of embarrased to say, I did not walk a full city block all day. The extent of my street time consisted of the walk from the door of my previous location to the nearest corner to hail a cab, which thankfully never took very long. It must have been a very lucrative day for NYC cab drivers, because I imagine I wasn't the only one who reverted to the extremely convenient (and warm!), yet expensive taxi-habit. I promise I normally don't take a cab for 5 blocks, but if you were out there, you'd have done it too!!

Being a non-working, loan-wracking, poor grad student, I try not to get too used to the door-to-door service of taxis, but it's hard! How can you NOT appreciate the quickness (my travel times probably reduced by more than half compared to the subway), not having to think about parking, and the convenience of not having to walk to or from the nearest subway station?? Never mind that I spent 6 or 7 times what I would've spent! It was TOTALLY worth it to not be in the cold!! If someone were to ask me now, "How much money is enough?" my answer would be, without a doubt, "I want to have enough to be able ride taxis everywhere, anywhere, everyday!!!!"

:)

Kind of a non-sequiter, but I really hope all the homeless people found shelter last night...I noticed I hardly encountered any all day...

No comments:

Post a Comment