Friday, January 8, 2010

wickedly wonderful!

It's coming to an end...my last real winter vacation. (Next year, I'll be "working" aka paying the school tuition to work for free in a VA, and will most likely have a normal working-person holiday schedule.)

I'm really glad I got to watch Wicked with my baby sister Anna before I left for school again. I knew it was going to be good...you could tell by the raves and the prices of the tickets, that it still hasn't lost its charm. I was unprepared, however, for the way the story touched my heart. Special effects-wise, it wasn't all that elaborate. The set design was sophisticated, but nothing breathtaking. Even so, the story.... The story makes this show. So much of human nature, and the emotions of every day reality. It showcases the lovely things about life; love, friendship, longing, loyalty, talent, beauty....but it also doesn't shy away from demonstrating the lows of human emotion; jealousy, betrayal, greed, disappointment, and sorrow. And even while displaying the good and the bad of human nature, it still succeeds in being a beautifully happy story. I applaud this accomplishment...on two feet. =)

Even though it's set in the fairy tale world of Oz, it is the most un-fairytale like story. I'm really glad I got to share this experience with Anna. Now that she's getting older, I hope she appreciates all the characters and their wonderfully wicked human-ness.

No comments:

Post a Comment